Sunday, February 14, 2016

So what's wrong with being grateful?

The main reason for this project is the idea of being aware of blessings in my life on a daily basis, but my reason for starting this was that little kitchen message that read "There is always, always, always something to be thankful for", and today's post is basically just that. Being thankful!

So what's wrong with just being grateful once in a while? I realize that being thankful for something and recognizing it as a blessing can, at time, go hand in hand. Although yesterday was for the most part uneventful, I realized that there are many things to be thankful for. We still have a roof over our heads, we still have electricity and heat to make our domestic lives more comfortable, and we still have food to eat, so we are not starving. My sister was on her way over after work so I made a nice dinner for the three of us. We shared some wine, we talked about life and our jobs and we enjoyed a great meal together- all things that I was especially thankful for. These are real blessings in my life and not to be taken for granted.

I have five sisters that I appreciate and love tremendously. We all try to touch base weekly to keep the lines of communication open. I have a great relationship with all of them, including my sister who came for dinner last night, mainly because we know each other so well. We are very close in age and we even looked like twins when we were kids. We are always there for one another and we have made it a point over the last many years to talk almost every single day. In life, these are the real blessings. Friends are great, but there is something so very special about a brother or a sister that has become as close as any friend could. I've heard it said that you can pick your friends, but if I had to do it all over again, I would still choose my family. It turned out to be a great day after all.

As I laid my head down ready to sleep, I said a silent prayer and thanked God for my sisters. I am blessed to have each of them in my life and I treasure the moments that we share.

No comments:

Post a Comment